Understanding RDF

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon Jan 25 20:02:52 GMT 1999

> A property may have more than one value (in current RDF terms,
> there may be multiple sentences with a common subject and
> predicate), as you'd expect.

I presume, then, that the values are considered to be unordered.

---

> And here's my attempt to make unabbreviated correct RDF:
                ^^^^^^^

This fills me with a grave sense that RDF should not be going to PR. Few
people seem confident of their understanding and the first major use is
already asking for an extension!

---

You've obviously gone to a lot of work so I'm reluctant to ask you to
defend your expansion in terms of the two specifications, but my question
is whether you think that it is possible. Are the two specs unambiguous
enough that your expansion is something that a generic RDF processor could
achieve.

For example:

>     <Group>
>      <Element>LastName</Element> <Element>FirstInitial</Element>
>      <Element>SeatRow</Element> <Element>SeatLetter</Element>
>      <Element>Departure</Element> <Element>Class</Element>
>     </Group>

Did you decline to expand that? Or is that the expansion? Should I
interpret Group as an RDF Seq? The "RDF:Order='Seq'" is confusing because
I think that it applies to instances described by the DCD, and not to the
DCD document itself.

> <RDF:Description>
>  <RDF:type resource="http://w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-dcd-19980731#DCD"/>
>   <RDF:li>
>    <RDF:Description>

It isn't clear to me how the RDF:li can go right in an RDF:Description.
Where is the containing rdf:Seq, rdf:Bag and rdf:Alt? What abbreviation is
this?

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

To me programming is more than an important practical art. It is
also a gigantic undertaking in the foundations of knowledge.
	- Grace Hopper

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)