WebCGM?

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Mon Jan 25 21:02:01 GMT 1999

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> Does anyone know what WebCGM (a new W3C recommendation) is and how it
> relates to XML? About all I can figure out is that it's a format for
> describing graphics that has something to do with XML, but the rest isn't
> clear at all.

WebCGM is a profile (subset) of CGM, a binary graphics format
that describes graphics in terms of how to draw them abstractly.
The XML DTD is used solely to explain how some of the CGM
objects can appear inside other objects: its relation to real
XML is purely conceptual, but if you wrote a CGM-to-XML
translator you could use the DTD to validate parts of the
resulting XML.

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)