Why SAX needs namespace support

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Tue Jan 26 16:15:35 GMT 1999

At 10:54 AM 1/26/99 -0500, david at megginson.com wrote:
>Despite my initial pessimistic predications (some of you might
>remember that I also predicted the imminent death of Linux back around
>1992 because of its monolithic kernel architecture), I am now
>confident that namespaces will succeed, and want some kind of
>namespace support in the next version of SAX.

I'd like to see namespace support in SAX; however, I'd prefer not to
implement it by piling that functionality into parsers, creating yet
another monolith.  While the monoliths survive, I think we can do better.

For a discussion of how this might work, see my rough essay "Toward A
Layered Model for XML", available at
http://www.simonstl.com/articles/layering/layered.htm.  If you just want a
quick look at a picture that adds namespace support to a possible set of
layered event-based processes, see
http://www.simonstl.com/articles/layering/layered2.gif.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (March)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)