XML Standards for Footwear

Rick Labs rick at clb.com
Wed Jan 27 15:27:01 GMT 1999

XML EDI'ers and Developers,

O.K. I know you don't really consider footwear a bleeding edge industry but we
at least we are very international.

Here is a release that is hitting the general news wires today regarding
setting up XML standards for footwear. I realize this way out on the edge of
interest for most XML developers but I send it to you fishing for people who
might be interested in getting in on the ground floor. Will not send anything
else to the developers list after this.

Thanks.

Rick Labs

(PS - the release is for a very general audience so try to laugh too much when
you read it. Also we are cutting over to a cable modem and going through an IP
number change so please so be patient bare with us.)

GROUP FORMED TO SET INTERNET DATA STANDARDS FOR FOOTWEAR INDUSTRY

DOLGEVILLE, NEW YORK...January 22, 1999...Daniel Green Company (NASDAQ: DAGR)
initiated a collaborative effort to develop new, open standards for data
exchange among footwear suppliers, retailers, web sites, sourcing and
distribution.  These new standards are intended for use with the increasingly
popular “eXtensible Mark-up Language” (XML).

According to Daniel Green President, Greg Tunney, “The opportunity for
establishing standards for the interchange of footwear data is substantial.
Everyone will enjoy reduced cost and greater efficiencies. Eventually, these
economies will extend all way through the footwear supply chain. If we can come
together as an industry for this standard effort right now as XML first becomes
established, everyone will save a great deal of time, money and hassles down
the road. This working group will function in a all-volunteer, democratic
fashion to develop free, open standards. The benefit will be substantial.”

Rick Labs, Webmaster for Daniel Green Company, added, “The next versions of
Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator will ship this year with native
support for XML. Based on the groundswell of international support for this new
technology, we look forward to those in the footwear industry soon modifying
their web sites and EDI systems to exploit its benefits.”

The working group will include representatives from a broad cross-section of
the footwear industry, such as athletic, shoes, boots, women’s fashion, retail
and Internet outlets.  “We also want to tie into the work being done by Federal
Express, United Parcel Service, ISO, ANSI, other standards bodies, certain
trade organizations and leading technology vendors,” Labs said.

Initial plans call for the working group to define standard terms and design
basic document object models that are expected to have a far-reaching impact on
transaction productivity within the footwear industry. Ultimate goals include
reduced inventories and waste as well as lower costs and greater variety for
consumers.

The standards task force is timed to coincide with ongoing technology efforts
throughout the industry relative to increased Internet usage and Year 2000
compliance issues.  Qualified industry representatives are invited to
participate in the group’s first informal meeting during the Western Shoe
Associates show held February 9-12 at the Sands Expo Center, Las Vegas, Nevada.

For more information, contact Daniel Green Webmaster, Rick Labs (phone:
315-637-0915, e-mail: rick at clb.com) or to gain some background on XML, visit
the special section of the company’s web site at  www.DanielGreenCo.com/xml.

 .  Rick Labs                     315-637-0915      .
 .  CL&B, Inc.                    315-637-4297 Fax  .
 .  527 E Genesee St.                               .
 .  Fayetteville, NY 13066-1536   rick at clb.com      .

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)