Why SAX needs namespace support

Bill la Forge b.laforge at jxml.com
Wed Jan 27 17:05:45 GMT 1999

>Why not permit the application to bind an instance to perform the respective
>operations. It's more powerful and no harder to implement or to use?

At one level, that's what we are doing with filters in MDSAX. But it gets awkward
to use at the next level up.

It seems more reasonable to have a parser factory object which can be configured just
the way you want the parser to work. Then you can make as many instances of the
parser as you want/need.

In single-threaded applications, you just need one global parser. Possibly.
But its important in a large XML application to be able to say, hey, get me a parser to
use, at various points in the program without having to worry about setting the
locale and all.

Bill

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)