Why SAX needs namespace support

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Wed Jan 27 19:05:47 GMT 1999

james anderson wrote:

> It gets out of whack only if one models it incorrectly. Does anyone here even
> know what the "upward funarg" problem is?

*sigh*.  Yes, I do.  What of it?

> In any case, it has yet to be shown
> that it is necessary to handle the scoping in the DOM at all, as the
> identifiers in the DOM should be universal names.

Should be, but aren't yet, and show no signs of becoming so.  Alas.

> You need only ensure that all identifiers you use are universal names. It is
> unfortunate that current parsers still model identifiers as strings. I would
> hope that this will change. As long as the serializer does the inversion
> mapping to that which the parser did, the application has nothing to do with
> scoping issues.

You still are not acknowledging my point: the application must have
access to the currently-in-scope mappings, because it may need to
convert to universal format a QName that the parser cannot detect
as such (because it appears as an attribute value or as character data).

John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan		cowan at ccil.org

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)