Will XML eat the web?

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Thu Jan 28 19:42:18 GMT 1999

"Matthew Sergeant (EML)" wrote:

> You
> can use a persistent parsed structure like a DOM maintained in memory, but
> for some applications such as a rapidly changing XML database this isn't
> always feasible (or is it?).

You could continually update the DOMs based on changes in the XML. What
exactly are your concerns about this architecture.

> Currently our web based XML system processes
> about 5 files per second (very subjective figures) - and it's at max CPU
> (it's only a Pii266). This is using expat. Not a good situation since I
> could probably build a much faster application using an RDBMS - but I'm
> looking to the future when I can send the raw XML to the client.

You need to store data that is efficiently maintained relationally. You
need to *transmit* XML. Why not use a relational database and create XML
when you need it.

> Anyway, I'd like to hear people's comments on solving this potential issue,
> and whether they think choosing XML for the web was a good choice at this
> stage in browser development.

I don't follow the question. The longer we wait, the longer it takes
browsers to support it.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

So what if one dark midnight less than a year from now, millions of
computers around the world suddenly grind to a halt? My computer grinds
to a halt several times a day. ... [Forget Y2K] We're ignoring a much
bigger bug problem that's hiding, well, right under our noses. Call it
the Y-Does-My-Computer-Crash-Three-Times-A-Day Problem.
	- http://www.upside.com/David_Futrelle/

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)