Will XML eat the web?

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Thu Jan 28 22:13:47 GMT 1999

Pavel Velikhov wrote:

> Paul Prescod wrote:
> >
> > You need to store data that is efficiently maintained relationally. You
> > need to *transmit* XML. Why not use a relational database and create XML
> > when you need it.
> >

> Transmitting XML in a textual representation is not always a good idea.

I don't follow you. XML is, by definition, textual.

> When the user does the 'select *' query on an XML database, sending him
> a 20 megabyte XML file that he will need to parse, apply an xsl
> stylesheet
> to and display in the browser is not the best solution. IMHO, the result
> of the query should be shipped on demand, when the user is actually
> 'looking'
> at a piece of an XML file.

I don't think I said anything to contradict this, though I would say that
by the time you have a "20 megabyte XML file" you've probably already done
something wrong. There is almost never a good reason to generate files
that large.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Don't you know that the smart bombs are so clever, they only kill
bad people."
	- http://www.boingo.com/lyrics/WarAgain.html

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)