Will XML eat the web?

Matthew Sergeant (EML) Matthew.Sergeant at eml.ericsson.se
Fri Jan 29 14:50:17 GMT 1999

	Oh - that's a lesson that's learned in the first few days of
application development. The issue wasn't that the data is strictly
relational, it's just that my experience with relational databases makes me
think this would be faster using an RDBMS. (or and OODBMS, or object
serialization, or... you get the picture?)

	The point is - XML fits our problem domain perfectly well. It's just
not fast when parsing directly. Ultimately we may have to turn the
architecture on it's head - store in a database (relational or OO) and
transmit XML to the client. If they want to edit the XML by hand, transmit
some to them, and parse the results back into the database. This will be a
disappointment to me, but not the end of the world.

	Matt.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)