Another errata?

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Fri Jan 29 22:05:24 GMT 1999

At 04:39 PM 1/29/99 -0500, Adam M Donahue wrote:
>5.3 Uniqueness of Attributes
>
>"no tag may contain two attributes"
>
>Is "element" intended instead of tag?

No, not at all.  Tag is exactly what's meant. E.g., in

then the "a" element arguably contains two foo:bar attributes;
but the a element's start tag contains only one, so everything's OK.

>Another question.  Default namespaces do not apply directly to attributes
>according to the specification.  So if I have:

>then body is part of the http://namespaceplace.com/html.dtd namespace, but
>its attribute bgcolor is not?  (bgcolor belongs to no namespace)

That is correct.  This is kind of like Euclid's 5th axiom; you get
a consistent world-view either way, but this way on balance seems
to cause fewer problems.  -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)