Repositories: From Argument to Architecture

Dave Winer dave at userland.com
Sat Jan 30 18:27:13 GMT 1999

Simon, I'm in 100 percent agreement with this!

Repository-in-a-box. Very nice. I see the need too. Esp with tools that
have File menus that only know how to store stuff in the repository.

What goes back and forth between the writer's desktop and the server is
XML. When it's time to publish a piece it's just enabled for access thru a
public URL and rendered thru the public templates. The writers see very
little XML, the editors see a lot, and the readers see whatever is
appropriate given the path they take to get to the info.

In a nutshell, that's the vision for our next-generation.

I think I'm going to stop writing for this morning. I'm concerned that I'm
promoting too much here and might outstay my welcome.

Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)