Is XML dead already or what?

James Robertson jamesr at steptwo.com.au
Sat Jan 30 23:59:03 GMT 1999

At 21:55 30/01/1999 , David Megginson wrote:

  | In other words, concentrate on your XML exchange formats and use an
  | RDBMS on the backend (or, perhaps, an OODB if your traffic isn't too
  | high).  If there ever is an XML repository with such good performance
  | that you want to throw out Oracle or Sybase, then you can redo the
  | backend without causing incompatibilities the frontend.

I agree with David.

To my mind, XML is the ideal too for achieving that object-oriented
goal of "data hiding".

That is, it allows me to specify an exact, known interface
for talking to the world. Internally then, I can do anything
I like, and change it as often as I like, without affecting
anyone else.

I mean, lets get real here, XML is not the answer to
all the world's problems.

I like relational databases.

(There, I've said it now.)

And for all those XML-obsessed people out there:
get a life! XML is just another tool in the solution
developer's toolkit. Nothing more, nothing less.

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy
http://www.steptwo.com.au/