XSL/ECMAscript (was RE: Frontier as a scalable XML repository (was Re: Is XML dead already or what?))

Dave Winer dave at userland.com
Sun Jan 31 14:59:10 GMT 1999

Simon, I've been trying to follow those XSL debates and my eyes glaze over.
I come from such a different world! To me that's the charm of XML, the
people it brings together. I can get a passionate appraisal from Tim Bray
that opens my eyes only to the fact that we don't speak the same language,
but his words are so intriguing.

You say this is a wide-ranging thread, you ain't seen nothin yet! Here goes..

One more thing to point you all to. We've been promoting XML-RPC as a way
of building distributed Internet applications. This has been going on since
April last year. After Allaire joined the fray, we got a lot of new support
and the system has been growing. A sub-item to the XSL processor site, but
a much more earthshaping trend is the support we're getting in the Java
world for XML-RPC.

Some of the most intersting stuff has come from people who are lurking on
this list. I would be remiss if I didn't point you all to the XML-RPC site.
This is growing right now, and I think it's very significant, esp in the
areas we've been touching on.

Here's the Java XML-RPC implementation:

http://helma.at/hannes/xmlrpc/

And here's the central XML-RPC site with pointers to many of the other sites:

http://www.xmlrpc.com/

And here's a DaveNet piece I wrote on Friday that explains where we're
going and provides new information on how we got here:

http://www.scripting.com/davenet/99/01/microsoftXmlRpc.html

Read the part about XML-RPC search engines, and Microsoft and XML-RPC.

I know I'm responding to a fire hose with my own fire hose. But between all
these hoses I think there's something great happening.

Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)