XML for forms

Gavin McKenzie gmckenzi at JetForm.com
Mon Jul 5 16:12:43 BST 1999

David,

Yes, but I would prefer to say that simple forms that don't have regulatory
requirements around their presentation can benefit from simple solutions.
i.e. choose the tool that suits the task.

But regulations and legal requirements around the presentation of forms,
which often constitute documents of record with all the usual legal
requirements, aren't going away anytime soon.

The reproduction of papers forms on screen often arise from such regulatory
requirements, and they also stem from the desire to ease training costs.  In
a transitional world people are moving from paper to electronic (or glass)
solutions.  If the on-screen representation looks like the form that people
have used on paper for years, and will continue to use until complete
adoption of an electronic solution, then the training costs are
significantly reduced.

I want to do my part to help people move to more effective solutions for
capturing and processing forms, but the reality of paper must be recognized.
Oh...and then there is the little secret in *many* organizations where after
a completely electronic workflow, a piece of paper needs to be printed and
put in a filing cabinet.

And I haven't even touched on the issues around signing a form and the need
to say that what I signed on screen is what turned up as a document of
record on paper.

Anyway...this clearly is an XML development forum, and I'm not looking to
start a religious discussion on forms...I just wanted to put in a few resons
for why paper keeps coming up as an important ingredient in forms.

Gavin.

Gavin F. McKenzie          mailto:gmckenzi at jetform.com
Systems Architect          Vox:+1(613)230-3676
JetForm Corporation         or:+1(613)751-4800 ext 5277
http://www.jetform.com     Fax:+1(613)751-4864

mailto:xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN
981-02-3594-1