XML and COBOL

Ken North ken_north at csi.com
Tue Jul 6 22:38:35 BST 1999

<< I have the need to implement COBOL applications on a IBM mainframe
computer that will be responsible for parsing and creating XML
documents. Can anyone point me toward a good tool that could be called
from within a COBOL application to parse / create XML. The mainframe
environment is CICS, OS/MVS. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John,

I know there has been a lot of talk about Object COBOL, but I don't know
if anyone is shipping a product. The problem is that traditional COBOL
does not do string processing very well so it will be a challenge to
write a parser in COBOL. You should probably investigate COBOL-callable
libraries written in C or assembly language.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North
ken_north at csi.com  71301.1306 at compuserve.com  KenNorth at msn.com
Ken North Computing   2604B El Camino Real, #351 Carlsbad, CA 92008-1214