XML and COBOL

Steven Marcus srnm at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 22:15:17 BST 1999

My apologies if I did not answer the original question. In my
post I was describing how an organization I work with will be
processsing XML on the mainframe. We came to the conclusion that
parsing XML from inside COBOL apps was impractical and
unnecessary. Others may differ.

To clarify our tactics:

All new XML-oriented apps will be written in Java. Interfaces to
existing apps are via files and/or access to database tables via
JDBC. The java apps will use SAX/DOM as appropriate.

There has been some talk of using COBOL to _output_ data using
XML-syntax. No attempt has been made to interface an XML
processor directly to COBOL.

I write this with the hope that someone wrestling with these
issues will see that alternatives exist to using COBOL XML
parsers -- if you are running a recent release of OS/390.

good luck!
Steven Marcus
Aware Technologies, Inc.