IE5 Parser

Hunter, David dhunter at Mobility.com
Thu Jul 8 17:45:35 BST 1999

> From: John Evdemon [mailto:John_Evdemon at freddiemac.com]
> IE5's parser is designed for client-level parsing since it
> was imbedded in the
> browser, correct?
>
> This implies (at least to me) relatively high-risk -- the
> parser's performance
> on a back end server is an unknown.
>
> Has anyone seen/done any benchmarks?
>
> Can it handle the volume?
>
> Thanks!

I'm not sure if the MSXML parser was designed with the client in mind or not
- I recall hearing somewhere that someone at Microsoft was annoyed that
MSXML was so closely tied to the browser, since it was <em>meant</em> for
the server.  (This recollection of mine is not necessarily accurate,
however, and even if it is it's only hearsay.)

But in the project I'm on now we use it on both client and server.  Most of
our inter-component communication is done via XML, and there's quite a bit,
so MSXML is doing a pretty good job there.  (Sorry, no numbers.)  There is
also a daily batch job that runs, where our server-side MSXML component is
processing a largish XML file (somewhere between 400 and 600K), and it's
having no troubles with that.

Not exactly concrete proof one way or the other, but for our needs MSXML is
doing well on the server, and I haven't seen any scaling problems yet.
Someone else might have better numbers for you, though.

David Hunter
david.hunter at mediaserv.com
MediaServ Information Architects
http://www.MediaServ.com