IE5 Parser

Hunter, David dhunter at Mobility.com
Thu Jul 8 18:15:14 BST 1999

From: Steven Livingstone, ITS, SENM
> I know that they are the same parser, but the statement which
> you get before
> the download implies to me that they are selling it not only
> as an add on
> for IE 4 users, but server-side and non-browser XML developments.

Yes, the EULA makes it look like you don't need a Microsoft browser at all,
but it won't actually run without IE4.01 or above.  I'm not sure if it will
install or not; I don't think so, but could be wrong.  On the actual
download page it says "This installation upgrades the Microsoft XML parser
from Internet Explorer 4.01 SP1 or later to the parser provided with
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.", which is a bit more clear that you need
IE4.

It's because the parser uses some of the same DLLs as the browser.  (For
example, there's the XMLHTTPRequest object, which uses IE DLLs to send files
to a web server.)

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)