XML for forms

Nik O niko at cmsplatform.com
Thu Jul 15 00:03:47 BST 1999

Whilst Tim Bray is absolutely correct (and i must admit that i wasn't hip to
the clash-of-vendors subtext), i've derived considerable value from this
particular thread.

Our company produces medical and pharmaceutical reference books and
databases, and we are therefore very concerned with information security.
We need to ensure that author submissions (over the Internet) are not
corrupted, we maintain audit trails for editorial revisions, etc.  Our
initial interest in XML is based upon the traditional "document with markup"
use, but we're also looking very seriously at wider use of XML for
business-to-business data exchange and e-commerce.

XML has a designed separation of text with markup, graphic images,
presentation stylesheets, and DTD/schema content validation objects.
Therefore, i hope this thread will be continued with some concrete
thoughts/examples on how to ensure that these separate content and
presentation "files" can be aggregated, and how to construct standard,
secure, containers/envelopes for same.

-Nik O, Content Mgmt Solutions, Jackson, Wyo.

P.S.  BTW, a recent, decent, overview article on Public Key Infrastructure
(PKI) is at http://www.informationweek.com/738/pki.htm.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)