XML Forms and data entry

Trevor Croll litebook at powerup.com.au
Fri Jul 16 00:33:53 BST 1999

On reflection the plan is:
Yes an overall  Xchema file for the sole purpose of providing names of
fields and a hierachy for records
other xchemas for each record type and in some cases different ones for new
record as from edit record.

The xschema has some additional detail like Position and tab order, field
size where necessary, some event indications like OnEnter go to some other
field, etc... bits taken from XFA or XFDL or XSL, because this will be local
with out the intent to distribute it really does not matter if it does not
conform to any standard.

The standard parts come when the Data and XSL scripts are merged to produce
a HTML file

It is quite difficult having an idea and trying to have a vision for it when
there is such a confusion of standards. Worse still there is not much
prototyping for applications in XML available.

The whole exercise becomes fraught with possible dangers, a wrong assumption
early, a miscalculation, a over defined start could make it impossible or
difficult. Beauty in in simplicity and this can be more difficult than
expected.