Yet another stupid namespace question...

Dean Roddey droddey at charmedquark.com
Mon Jul 19 03:38:14 BST 1999

>On further reflection, I've realized that this solution is broken. For
>example, suppose I define an element A which sets the default namespace to
>http://foo and that I define an element B in the content of element A. Now
>suppose you like my element A and incorporate it into your element C, which
>has a different element B in its content.  Suppose also that your element B
>defines the default namespace as http://bar.

I don't think there is any way to get around the problem really. I think
that the only scenario that will work is that Schema will have to disallow
defaulting or fixing xmlns attributes in the schema. The only other option,
chaning the namespace spec to not allow an element's attributes to affect
the element's prefix mapping. But then you couldn't set the root element's
prefix mapping. So I think its going to have to be the former solution,
unless someone else comes up with a slicker solution.

So far, I'm just continuing with this assumption, since its the only way I
can move forward. Other than this problem, all I've encountered so far are
just grunt work difficulties in creating a pluggable validator architecture
in which the scanner does not have to be aware of whether its dealing with a
DTD or a Schema.

Dean Roddey
The CIDLib Class Libraries
Charmed Quark Software
droddey at charmedquark.com
http://www.charmedquark.com

"100% Substance Free. Less Content, more cost. Just the way you like it"

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)