XSL implementation other than Java?

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 23 21:32:36 BST 1999

An interesting option:  call the Java code from PERL ... after compiling it
with the"GCJ" native Java compiler that's in the latest GCC (2.95/EGCS).

I understand folk have actually done the "call Java from PERL" bit using
that
compiler, though I've not done it yet myself.  GCJ seems to work in two
modes,
one where it works like "javac" to generate class files, and the other where
it compiles to native code using the same code generator used by C/C++/...
in
that version of GCC.

A minor gotcha -- if you use GCJ as a "javac" replacement you might run into
the issue of it not yet understanding a number of widely used Java 1.1
language
updates, like anonymous arrays, inner classes, and such.  I think the
workaround
there is to use the JDK 1.2 version of "javac" (it's the most correct
compiler,
I ran into problems with three or four others) and then compile those
classfiles.

Also, since this is basically a new runtime ("libgcj" being roughly what JDK
1.1
has) and compiler, it's not yet rock solid.  But for many of the XML-DEV
community, I'd say it can often be an option!

- Dave