Separation of Content and Structure

Edd Dumbill edd at usefulinc.com
Mon Jul 26 11:41:57 BST 1999

On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 06:46:09PM -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> At 03:11 PM 7/23/99 -0500, Clinton Gallagher wrote:
> >Do any of those who have a command of the use of XML remain using relational
> >databases and in which context as a development tool might the relational
> >database remain useful?
>
> [... deletia ...]
>
> In either case, it's not that hard to get your information into and out of
> XML when needed.  Store the info the way that's most efficient for your
> needs, and build bridges between your storage and transmission as required.
>
> At least that's my take.
>
> Simon St.Laurent

Mine too.  I run a site in which I store quite a lot of content as
raw XML, but index into it with a relational database.  So my tables
in the database contain the terms I want to index on, plus a pointer
to the XML document in the filesystem.  The only downside is a bit
more effort maintaining synchronicity between the two.  However if
there aren't tools out there that do this kind of thing already, there
probably will be shortly.

--
Edd Dumbill | Director, Useful Information Co. & Pharmalicensing Ltd
tel: +44 (0) 702-093-6870 | edd at usefulinc.com | http://usefulinc.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)