Use of '&' in element of XML Document

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Wed Jul 28 07:02:31 BST 1999

From: John E. Simpson <simpson at polaris.net>

>It's possible I'm missing something extremely (perversely) subtle, but
>don't get the sense of "*cannot* redeclare" [emphasis added] at all in
the
>above passage. True, it does say that "all XML processors must
recognize"
>the predefined entities. If no redeclaration at all were permitted, the
>sentence beginning "If the entities in question are declared" wouldn't
make
>a lot of sense, right?

There is a similar issue with xml:lang.

Some processors (e.g. early LotusXSL and others) did not have built-in
declarations for xml:lang.  But when you tried to give one, it required
a namespace declaration. And then it would say that declaring an
xml namespace was not allowed.

I think it is a sign of inadequate testing. Developers should check that
their products allow xml:lang in WF, valid and namespaced documents.
Even just putting xml:lang="en-US"  on one  element in a test file
should
expose  the problem.

The spec says "In valid documents, this attribute, like any other, must
be
declared if  it is used."

Rick Jelliffe

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)