encoding incompatibilities between XT and XP in FOP

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Thu Jul 29 15:29:14 BST 1999

[I'm posting to xml-dev rather than to JamesC as I know *I'm* doing
something wrong and not JamesC's software.]

As some of you are aware, my formatter, FOP, either takes an XML
serialisation of a formatting tree (ie the output of an XSLT engine) or
directly calls XT and gets the result tree as a series of SAX events.

I've noticed a problem in the former relating to character encoding.

I have a stylesheet that uses • for the bullet in a list. If I run it
through XT (next to last version) and save the result tree as a file, the
bullet character is represented literally (ie it isn't a character
reference). Fine, except that when FOP reads that file (via XP) it doesn't
get a single 0x2022 character, but three characters: 0xE2 0x20AC 0xA2. These
three characters are what XP is giving my Handler.

What am I doing wrong?

Interestingly, if I put &#x2022 in the result tree file manually, it works
fine. *Also*, if I use the second method of running FOP and get FOP to call
XT and get the result tree as SAX events, it works.

James Tauber

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)