RDF Sample, ICAO Airport Codes

James Robertson jamesr at steptwo.com.au
Sat Jul 31 08:46:28 BST 1999

At 01:44 31/07/1999 , David Megginson wrote:

>Jeff Greif writes:
>
>  > I'm not sure what the advantage of RDF is here, in comparison with
>  > using an ordinary .xml file (changing rdf:about to a namespace
>  > declaration somewhere and providing a DTD or XML Schema to specify
>  > an apt:Airport).  An airport is a resource, so you might want a
>  > description of a bunch of them, but I'm having trouble finding a
>  > context in which this is metadata, not data.
>
>Who said anything about metadata?
>
>RDF is a general format for serializing entities and their
>relationships -- sure it's useful for metadata, but it's main use (I
>think) is as a more abstract layer on top of XML for exchanging
>objects.

Wouldn't a validatable format with a DTD
be more useful for storing data?

ie. plain vanilla XML?

Otherwise, aren't we advocating abandoning XML for a
another format? One that loses the ability to be
verified, except with the use of custom-written software.

In other words, if RDF is intended for storage of data,
what's XML for?

Hmmm.

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd