Using XLink for locator grouping....

Guy Murphy guy-murphy at easynet.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 07:18:10 BST 1999

Hi.

I am interested int he opinion of anyone interested.

 <resources>
  <!-- role="resource" for all the bellow, from schema -->
  <resource id="articles.xml" xml:link="simple" inline="false"
content-role="Articles" />
  <resource id="papers.xml" xml:link="simple" inline="false"
content-role="White papers, accademic and business submission." />
  <resource id="reports.xml" xml:link="simple" inline="false"
content-role="Accademic, business, and market reports." />
  <resource id="graphics.xml" xml:link="simple" inline="false"
content-role="GIFs, JPGs, BMPs, and PNGs" />
  <resource id="post.xml" xml:link="simple" inline="false"
content-role="Usenet and E-mail posts" />
  <resource id="contact_details.xml" xml:link="simple" inline="false"
content-role="E-mail addresses, phone numbers, and postal addresses for
individuals and companies" />
 </resources>

Then I got to thinking, that maybe the following might be more appropriate,
in that it is more descriptive....

 <resources xml:link="group" inline="false" role="resource aggregate">
  <!-- role="resource" for all the bellow, from schema -->
  <resource id="articles.xml" xml:link="locator" content-role="Articles" />
  <resource id="papers.xml" xml:link="locator" content-role="White papers,
accademic and business submission." />
  <resource id="reports.xml" xml:link="locator" content-role="Accademic,
business, and market reports." />
  <resource id="graphics.xml" xml:link="locator" content-role="GIFs, JPGs,
BMPs, and PNGs" />
  <resource id="post.xml" xml:link="locator" content-role="Usenet and E-mail
posts" />
  <resource id="contact_details.xml" xml:link="locator" content-role="E-mail
addresses, phone numbers, and postal addresses for individuals and
companies" />
 </resources>

All the anchors specified are related in that they are all participating
resources. Within the context of this content model however, they do not
have any relationship between each other.

Does anybody have strong feelings on this matter? Any opinions would be
greatly appreciated as to date I've only looked at XLink for gathering
reources for presentation, such as bringing together XML documents and XSL
stylesheets for transformation and presentation.

Cheers

    Guy

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)