Just require URLs

Jeffrey E. Sussna jes at kuantech.com
Tue Jun 1 23:36:33 BST 1999

There appear to be conflicts between RFC's 2396 (URI: Generic Syntax) and
2141 (URN Syntax). Interestingly, RFC 2396 is not specified as updating RFC
2141. In any case:

*Both specs agree that a URN must be preceded by the scheme "urn".

*RFC 2141 states that the forward-slash (and other reserved) character
should not be used in unescaped form, as its "applicability" is (or was at
time of writing, 5/97) still open to debate.

*RFC 2396, on the other hand, states that forward-slash (and other reserved)
character should not be used in unescaped form IF "the data...would conflict
with the reserved purpose". This seems to imply that it's ok to use "/"
unescaped if it denotes a hierarchical namespace.

*RFC 2396 APPEARS to state that an "authority" must be preceded by
double-forward-slash. It is not totally clear to me whether this applies to
the NID component of a URN.

First of all, I would be interested in opinions as to the above statements.
Secondly, I would be interested in opinions as to the advisability of going
ahead and using unencoded forward-slashes to denote hierarchy within a URN.
I need to denote such hierarchy, and it seems hard to believe that
forward-slash wouldn't be defined to denote such hierarchy. Thus encoding it
seems like a waste of time, effort, and an unnecessary loss of readability.

Jeff

mailto:xml-dev at ic.ac.uk
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN
981-02-3594-1