Paul has volunteered (was Re: Overloaded URIs must GO!)

Ron Daniel RDaniel at DATAFUSION.net
Wed Jun 2 00:11:20 BST 1999

Jonathan Borden says:

> URN's don't allow
> dereferencing (otherwise they become another type of URL). Wouldn't it
> also
> be an error to attempt to dereference "urn:xxx..."?

[Ron Daniel]
I have seen some similar assertions that URNs are not
to be resolved. That is not the case. URNs are meant
to be resolved, but they do not specify a particular
resolution procedure that must be followed. You are free
to resolve them any way you want. The URN WG did define
one resolution procedure that people could use as a fallback
in case they came across novel URNs that their local
resolution procedures could not handle. See RFCs 2168 and
2169 for that fallback procedure. (Truth in advertising
compels me to say that I'm an editor of those two documents).

Regards,
Ron Daniel Jr.
DATAFUSION, Inc.
139 Townsend Street, Suite 100