Just require URLs

Didier PH Martin martind at netfolder.com
Wed Jun 2 19:39:09 BST 1999

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan said:
    I have a quibble with this terminology. URLs need not be location
dependent. This is a function of the URL scheme or namespace. For example
suppose we invent a new location independent protocol (LIP):

    "lip:W3C/Specifications/XSLT/Version1.0"

or:

    "FPI: ...."

This would be a location independent URL. The idea remains that URLs are
URIs used to "locate" resources. If you overload the "urn" scheme with a
network protocol, it really becomes a URL regardless of its definition in
2141.

Didier says:
There is a project called PURL (permanent URL) that uses URL to create
permanent names. However, if we overload locators (URL) to do everything
even the morning coffee, we'll have some confusion. Its like have a single
word to designate everything. This is why we created URN. To distinguish
names (URN) form locators (URL). YOu are right to say that on some browser,
we can implement a name resolver as a protocol handler. But this is caused
by these browsers architecture not by the URN scheme being perceived as a
URL.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind at netfolder.com