Well-Formed SNAFU

Paul Grosso pgrosso at arbortext.com
Sun Jun 6 18:45:38 BST 1999

At 10:13 1999 06 05 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>At 10:10 AM 6/5/99 -0500, WorldNet wrote:
>>I've noticed that Netscape Communicator 4.x ignores <br/> and haven't tried
>>same with IE4.x as I've upgraded to IE5. What techniques are going to be
>>developed to account for this backwards compatibility issue
>
>Admittedly a kludge, but "<br />" (note the space) works just
>fine.  <br></br> kind of works, but in legacy browsers actually
>inserts *two* blank lines (sigh). -T.

But getting the space into <br /> and having it stay there through
round trips in XML-aware editors and such is not always possible,
and <br></br> doesn't really work, as Tim says.

However, something like:

(any attribute value assignment would do) works in most HTML browsers
(certainly in NS4.x and IE 3-5) and is something that can be done (and
will not get undone) by any editing tool.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)