Cobol Copybooks?

Steven J. Owens puff at netcom.com
Mon Jun 7 16:39:01 BST 1999

Hey folks,

     I've been lurking for a few weeks;  I tried to post this question
when I first subscribed, but I never saw it show up.  Maybe that should
have warned me :-).

     Anyway, I'm working on a project where there seem to be some uses
for XML.  My part is in Java on several Solaris boxes, but another
part of the project is an MQSeries connection to CICS/Cobol, mostly to
grab data that's formatted via Cobol Copybooks.  So we're writing
classes to parse certain specific copybook formats; it seems to me
that it'd be really nifty to have a generic system to generate XML
DTDs from the copybooks, and then parse the data into XML-tagged
format.

     Even better would be to do this on the CICS side of things, since
that's where the data comes from, and send both the DTD and the
XML-tagged data back through MQSeries.  Then on the other side, a java
XML parser (somebody suggested SAX would be a good place to start)
could be used to parse the data.

     Is there anything out there that does this sort of thing?  I'd
think IBM would be working on something (they seem to be really
investing in new technologies these days; Java, XML, Linux...) since
they have such a big stake in the CICS/Cobol market.  But I can't find
anything on it.

Steven J. Owens
puff at netcom.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)