XML Transport Mechanism

Jonathan Borden jborden at mediaone.net
Wed Jun 9 17:44:45 BST 1999

Carl Schei wrote:

>>If I were to develop an application that could
>> receive/deliver requests in XML Format, how exactly would it
>receive/deliver
>> the XML Data?
>>
>> I can think of,
>>
>> 1/
>> Flat Files. An Application generates an XML File which is sent to the
>> another application to read and parse.

    Yep.

>> 2/
>> Over HTTP. An application will generate an XML stream that will be passed
>> via HTTP to a listening application. How exactly would this work -
>> specifically in Java? Is there a standard way of opening up an HTTP
>> connection and piping down the XML? Unfortunately I am not familiar with
>> java.net.* classes.

    The XML data is placed into the body of the MIME message which is an
HTTP request and/or response. This allows XML to be transmitted by SMTP as
well. You can use a standard Content-Type: "text/xml" or "application/xml to
indicate that the body is in XML format.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)