scope of XML

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 9 23:56:18 BST 1999

"james at xmlTree.com" wrote:

> 	  I am sure that more private ones exist... but the business case for
> making public xml interfaces and content available hasn't been clearly
> identified yet.

And it's been complicated by inconsistent browser implementations of XML
(vendors: get behind the Oasis effort!) and its supporting standards (ditto,
www.webstandards.org).

For example, I've gotten very good XML+CSS support out of Mozilla M6 but
it hasn't worked very well with IE5 (no list styles, "pre" breaks, etc);
and no browser conforms to XSL yet.

Given that status quo -- the role of XML isn't yet downloading XML to
clients.  But I suspect that role will increase ... :-)

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)