X-Schema

Brandt Dainow bd at internet-etc.com
Thu Jun 10 13:59:27 BST 1999

We use schemas instead of DTD's for all work around IE5 and Office2000, and
are now tapping into the Office2000 schemas (though we'd like more info from
Microsoft on these).  We have it from Microsoft that they will follow the
W3C as it defines schema standards. Currently these are still in early
draft.  In theory you can expect changes in the MS schema platform as W3C
finalises, possibly as service releases, certainly in new products.
However, this could create problems for people who have already developed
schemas to Microsoft's spec - forcing Microsoft to support both schema
standards.  Another problem which could occur after standardisation if
you're trying to develop W3C-compliant schemas on a Microsoft product using
an older MSXML object which supports only MS Schemas.  We have two ways
around this - namespaces is the most obvious.  Alternatively, a dirty trick
is to call the W3C schema DTD's, which should impose the W3C schema onto the
MSXML object (assuming it processes external DTD's after loading its own
schema, not the other way around).

Brandt Dainow
bd at internet-etc.com
Internet Etc Ltd