question for a friend

Daniel Austin daniela at cnet.com
Fri Jun 11 01:05:01 BST 1999

Lisa,

	This sort of structure cannot be represented easily in XML, since it
cannot be mapped to a simple heirarchichal tree structure. In practice, what
usually happens is that a third element is used to contain the internal
paragraphs and additional information beyond the DTD is required for
complete validity testing/processing. But your friend is correct in the
sense that there are (many) data structures that cannot be mapped to XML;
XML really applies only to semi-structured data sets where relationships
between elements are restricted to parent-child relationships - a
heirarchical tree.
Additional, more complex relationships among elements must be specified
outside of XML.

Regards,

D-

Daniel Austin, Director of Research and Development, CNET
daniela at cnet.com    415-395-7800 x1438
"To change the old into the new, and the shapes of things to come..."

http://www.finetuning.com

Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/ and on CD-ROM/ISBN
981-02-3594-1
To subscribe to the digests, mailto:majordomo at ic.ac.uk the following