XSL Debate, Leventhal responds to Stephen Deach

Ann Navarro ann at webgeek.com
Fri Jun 11 17:50:30 BST 1999

At 11:14 AM 6/11/99 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

>In any case, it's all going to come back to one lucky individual - Tim
>Berners-Lee -  and there isn't much the rest of us can do about it except
>hope that he listens.

Simon, you usually don't resort to hyperbole :)

TBL may be the director of the Consortium, but the membership votes on what
will or won't be made into a Recommendation. If the membership gives it a
resounding "YES!" the director, Tim or anyone else who may hold that spot
later, isn't just going to play despot and say "NO!".

300+ individuals (representing their member organizations) make the choice
-- the director just puts the final stamp on it, or when there is
controversy and dissent within the membership, makes a determination of
appropriate action, which the members also voice. The vote isn't just "yes"
or "no" -- it's "yes, as is" "yes, with these minor corrections" "no - go
back for more work on this area" and "we think this is bad and we shouldn't
be working on it any more".

W3C groups do indeed "sit down" together through several coordination
groups. CSS and XSL groups aren't operating in a vacuum.

Now all this reminds me to go vote on a pending issue right now...

Ann
---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Buy it Online - http://www.webgeek.com/about.html
Coming this summer! --- Mastering XML

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org