My.UserLand.Com FAQ

Dave Winer dave at userland.com
Sat Jun 12 18:00:09 BST 1999

This morning we released a new user interface for My.UserLand.Com, our
XML-based syndication aggregation server. Along with this new release is a
new FAQ page, which I thought would be interesting to XML content developers:

http://my.userland.com/faq

Key points: We're compatible with My.Netscape.Com, building on RSS..

There are over 100 compatible channels, including The Motley Fool, Robot
Wisdom, Internet Alchemy, MacWEEK, ZDNet, Webmonkey, Mozilla.Org and XML.COM..

The registration system is open to all members..

Our server scans each hour on the hour, the home page lists the changes
during each day. Many sites are updating their RSS files several times a
day, the most frequently recently updated ones rise to the top..

The service is open, we publish our channel list..

Not stated on the FAQ page, we are archiving all the XML text every night
at midnight. So as this takes off, each news site leaves a trail behind, so
that others can pick up the information later. Time is an important factor
here, and we've captured it.

Now that the flow is happening, we're starting to build more aggregation
services. The first step was to figure out the user interface. I think
we're there now.

Questions, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Dave Winer
UserLand Software

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)