XSL Debate, Leventhal responds to Stephen Deach

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sat Jun 12 18:48:29 BST 1999

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> All I can say on this one is that it sure hasn't felt like it from the
> outside.  At times, the public comments of W3C staff (plus former W3C folk)
> and WG members on both sides have felt pretty much like open warfare,

Differences of opinion are healthy. I don't see what the problem is with
this.

> and
> coordination on vocabulary feels like an afterthought, nothing more.

It is true that the W3C process encourages bottom up development where a
spec. is developed and then integrated with the rest later. Of course the
IETF and ISO have the same problem. The only way to do better would be to
SLOW DOWN and map out the data and processing models before developing
syntax. But who has time to figure out where we are going before we start
driving?

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Silence," wrote Melville, "is the only Voice of God." The assertion,
like its subject, cuts both ways, negating and affirming, implying both
absence and presence, offering us a choice; it's a line that the Society
of American Atheists could put on its letterhead and the Society of
Friends could silently endorse while waiting to be moved by the spirit
to speak. - Listening for Silence by Mark Slouka, Apr. 1999, Harper's

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)