W3C (was Re: XSL Debate, Leventhal responds to Stephen Deach)

Dan Brickley Daniel.Brickley at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jun 14 20:45:05 BST 1999

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Jon Smirl wrote:

> Right now I am working on an XML based query language. I'm doing this work
> in the dark because the last feedback out of the W3C was this page from Nov
> 15. http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/
>
> Why can't we have read-only access to the discussion group archive at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ql/? This would allow me to keep my
> code somewhat in alignment with the thoughts of the W3C.
>
> Without this access my code is likely to be completely different that the
> first W3C draft. And when the draft arrives I may choose to ignore it
> because it will be too much work to bring my code into alignment. Is this
> really what the W3C is trying to achieve?

Here's a leak from behind the iron curtain: don't imagine that
everything of interest is happening there. The w3c-ql list, for
example, had a flurry of interest after the QL'98 meeting
then pretty much dried up since february/march. You're not missing much
there... XML-DEV has been far more interesting on the query front in
last few months. And rdf-mozilla... (again, public).

A lot of the XML folks with W3C-access, for example, make a habit of
talking on XML-DEV instead of the Member-only lists. Of course plenty
goes on behind /Member/ but (when you don't have access!) it's easy to
convince yourself you're missing more than you actually are.

Dan

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)