Just require URLs

Andrew Layman andrewl at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 15 20:05:35 BST 1999

I would like to add my endorsement to W. Eliot Kimber's mail of
1999-06-01T021:53 titled "Re: Just require URLs" and which is apparently not
in the archives.

I'd like to add a parenthetical comment that I believe supports the thrust
of his argument: Eliot wrote "If the true intent of the namespace mechanism
is that the URI *is* the namespace (in the sense defined above), then they
have to *disallow* resolution of the URI..." Of course, specifications are
not people, so do not have intent literally, but as one of the two editors
of the specification I can speak for my intent in the wording of the
specification:  The URI identifies the namespace. That is, the specification
very clearly does not require that a URI be resolvable, but neither does it
forbid resolution.  The URI is an identifier; what other characteristics it
may have are not part of the namespaces specification, including whether it
is resolvable directly or can be used as part of process that ultimately
resolves to a resource.

Best wishes,
Andrew Layman

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)