[Fwd: Just require URLs]

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Wed Jun 16 12:35:08 BST 1999

Eliot Kimber says:

> If the true intent of the namespace mechanism is that the URI *is* the
> namespace (in the sense defined above), then they have to *disallow*
> resolution of the URI, otherwise, you cannot reliably establish
> namespace identity because two different URIs could identify the same
> resource.

AND

Andrew Layman wrote:

> The point of the wording was to respect that multiple URIs may reference the
> same resource,

Do either of you have evidence that the Web addressing model supports this
assertion?

As near as I can tell the Web has no concept of resource identity except
that every URI identifies a unique object. An HTTP server could serve up
the same byte stream at two different addresses but as far as the Web is
concerned those are two different objects. This defies intuition but seems
to be the "web model."

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

[Woody Allen on Hollywood in "Annie Hall"]
Annie: "It's so clean down here."
Woody: "That's because they don't throw their garbage away. They make
        it into television shows."

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)