Advice on DTD's

Simon North north at Synopsys.COM
Wed Jun 16 16:39:05 BST 1999

Andrew Wheeler asked about tools for adding textual definitions to
a DTD ...

Andrew, I use Earl Hood's DTD2HTML Perl package. It allows you
to create a navigable set of HTML pages from the DTD. Each
element and each attribute gets its own page, and they can all be
cross-linked to a semi-graphical tree. The nicest thing about this
'tool' is that the 'documentation' is contained in a separate file that
is read in when you create the HTML code. This keeps the DTD
'clean' (avoiding adding comments) and allows you to incrementally
improve the documentation without starting from scratch every
time.

Perl of course has been around for years, DTD2HTML has been
stable for about 4 years, it's all public domain but certainly not a
"backyard hack". I hope it's what you're looking for, it's certainly
been more than useful to me.

Simon North

Simon J North  BA(Hons) Eng Tech(CEI) FISTC ARAeS TMIEIE MIPRE
Senior Staff Technical Writer, Synopsys GmbH, Herzogenrath, Germany

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)