CSS and XML attributes

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 16 17:32:19 BST 1999

Heikki Toivonen wrote:

> >     what do I write in my style sheet to display product id in the
> > following example?
> >
> > <PRODUCT ID="C07981"> .... </PRODUCT>
>
> With CSS you can use the :before and :after rules, and specify in the
> content property that it should display the attribute value of an attribute
> named ID (my terminology may not be per the spec but hope you understand).
>
> Here is a sample:
>
> PRODUCT:before {
>   content: attr(ID);
> }
>
> Note that not all products support CSS well enough to understand this.

FYI those transformations are from CSS2, not CSS1 ... CSS2 is
less well supported, and basically should be until vendors
first handle all of CSS1.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/generate.html

Followup puzzler:  Suppose I want the output of this to embed
attribute values in some particular location, rather than put
it before (or after) the other content associated with that
particular element.  Can that be done with CSS1 or CSS2 ?
(I know it can be done with XSL-T!)

- Dae

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)