New Schema Tool (was: Advice on DTD's)

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Mon Jun 21 22:48:18 BST 1999

At 05:32 AM 6/22/99 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>>From your response, and others, then I think
>>maybe we are asking too much, also given the fact that XML Schema is on
>>the way this limited tool support may change direction anyway! Are we
>>being unreasonable?
>
>No I think it comes from there has been little market for this kind of
>tool: people developing XML/SGML are in the business of converting
>and linking data; they have usually been able to hack something together
>themselves. (And at the high end, if they were using an SGML tool like
>FrameMaker or Interleaf,  these both provide rich document-type
>documentation systems.)

You might also want to take a look at XML Authority, from Extensibility.
(http://www.extensibility.com/)  It provides documentation support -
through comments using conventions in DTDs or other documentation support
as available in other DTD formats.  It's a pretty sophisticated schema
builder, written in Java.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications
Inside XML DTDs: Scientific and Technical (July)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)