XSL and the semantic web

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 22 17:23:58 BST 1999

Ketil Z Malde wrote:

> Come on, whether "you" have legal access to data is completely
> irrelevant to how it should be marked up.  Are you seriously trying to
> argue that information publishers should use markup to make data as
> useless as possible, from the viewpoint that information consumers are
> probably accessing it illegally?

Hmm, I don't think I used the words "useless" or "illegal" ...
the points I was using were more subtle than that.  Go back and
read what "sensitive" data is, and why information publishers
will often want to make it hard to mine such data.  Read what
Paul wrote about pay-for-value service providers.

The statement is simple, and isn't usefully arguable:  providers
of information choose its formats for a variety of reasons, and
making it accessible for purposes other than presentation isn't
always one of them.

People who want to build "information consumer" systems need to
address the (creative?) tensions with providers of that information.
It doesn't seem too workable to demand that all system decisions be
made by the builders of clients ... which is how I'm reading far too
many of the comments on this thread!

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)