I want to parse like Superman (was Re: Identity)

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Tue Jun 22 20:27:48 BST 1999

David Brownell writes:

 > On the other hand ... wasn't Superman the "secret identity"?
 > Isn't there something distinct between "normal" and "secret"
 > identities?  Even beyond mild manners and being a reporter?
 > Why wouldn't Clark have multiple identities?

Here's an interesting problem -- in the world of DC comics, there
exists no time T in which Superman and Clark Kent both exist
simultaneously, and as a corollary, there exists no person P such that
P is both Superman and Clark Kent.  On the other hand, there does
exist a person who is always *either* Clark Kent or Superman.

Does this constitute identity?  If so, then I'd imagine that the same
IP addressed used serially for foo.com, bar.com, and foo.com again
also establishes the identity of those domains.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/