I want to parse like Superman (was Re: Identity)

Reynolds, Gregg greynolds at datalogics.com
Wed Jun 23 02:13:45 BST 1999

Okay, you guys got my philosophical homunculus in an uproar.  He insists
that I splutter thusly:

	You should quote, not only the names "Clark Kent" and "Superman",
but all others as well.  The question is perhaps more fruitfully stated as
"how can we determine that two names have the same denotation".  The classic
example is: the names "Sir Walter Scott" and "the author of Waverly" have
the same denotation, whether anybody knows it or not (although they may have
different senses).  But we can't directly talk about any denotation; we can
only use names.  So "Clark Kent" and "Superman", qua names, have the same
denotation, whether "Lois" gets it or not.  They also have clearly different
meanings, as "Lois" would surely attest.

	"Appearance" is something completely different, unless it is
construed as a purely symbolic notion.  That is, "Superman"'s "appearance"
and "CLark"'s "appearance" have the same denotation (but don't belong to
it).  On the other hand, "what 'Clark' looked like this morning" is also a
name, which denotes his appearance, but not him.

	What fun!

-gregg