Namespace URI address resources

MURATA Makoto murata at apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp
Wed Jun 23 06:53:51 BST 1999

Andrew Layman writes:

>Recent mail has suggested that a namespace URI could be used to attempt a
>retrieval of a schema, either using the URI directly or in some modified
>form or via content negotiation.  Other recent mail has objected, saying
>that there may be a miriad of things one wants to associate in some way with
>a namespace, for example a suggested (or mandatory?) style sheet to process
>all elements and attributes defined in that namespace.
>This argues that the first position is correct, namely that using a
>namespace URI to retrieve a schema is reasonable and is different in kind
>from retrieval of other possibly-related resources.

I believe that the namespace URI should not be used for the retrieval of a
schema.  (I belive that this was the consensus of the XML working group which
developed the namespace specification.)

Moreover, the complexity of schema composition (i.e., include and import)
in the working draft of XML Schema stems from the abuse of the namespace
URI, as I see it.

We have to introduce another URI for locating a schema.  Then,
we can also get rid of "include", since we can combine the same namespace URI
and more than one schema-locating URIs.

Cheers,

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata at apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)