I want to parse like Superman (was Re: Identity)

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Thu Jun 24 04:38:33 BST 1999

Miles Sabin scripsit:

> As far as Scott and the author of Waverly are concerned,
> tho', you're dead wrong. We can meaningfully ask,
>
>   Is Scott the author of Waverly?
>
> and we can also meaningfully ask,
>
>   Does "Scott" denote (in English) the same
>   person denoted (in English) by "the author of
>   Waverly"?
>
> These are _different_ questions.

Perhaps they are.  But I believe that in every case that does not
involve non-denoting names (like "Pegasus" or "Woldemar John Cowan"),
the corresponding questions have the same answers.

> The first is about
> Scott (and would also be about the author of Waverly if
> that were a different person). The second is primarily
> about the use of names in English. It's a classic
> use/mention, de dicto/de re thing.

The de dicto/de re distinction is useful when it *distinguishes*
something.  In these straight factual questions, I believe that
no distinction is being made.

John Cowan					cowan at ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)